Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Why do we live here??

No, really - WHY DO WE LIVE IN SOUTHERN ARIZONA?? This is not a trick question. I obviously understand that we technically live here because Casey has a wonderful job with great benefits that provides a lovely life for us (see? I'm grateful, right?). I only pose a whiny, half-serious question to illustrate an incident that happened just a few moments ago. (Oh, the suspense.)

I've been sick for three years, and after a different sort of sickness for the past week I finally felt better today. This is a big deal for me, because it meant that I didn't have to do the bare minimum to keep my child and husband alive with limbs intact - it meant that I could vacuum the floor (gasp!) and mop the kitchen floor (no!) and even venture to measure the panels for our bedroom window that I have been meaning to make for 2 years (amazing!). I'll admit that sickness has been really hard on my family and myself, not only because the house has been less than clean much of the time but because I haven't been able to do nearly any of the things I have wanted to do as a wife and mother. Those who knew me
pre-chronic illness know that I LOVE to host parties and be a complete idiot (translation: have stinking piles of fun). My college photos are replete with messy, silly memories that may not have happened had I not been a completely immature 18-21-year-old with a penchant for making those who seemed to be a little more shy act like idiots in a puppet-on-a-string sort of way (i.e. for my own amusement, I guess...you know who you are...and I did it for your own good, right? Right??). We dressed up, we sang at the top of our lungs, we had food fights and kidnapped blow-up plastic chairs and held them for ransom; we made sugar cookies that looked like Middle Eastern countries, we had a Christmas tree up year-round that was decorated in accordance with the current season; I even wore spandex and a side ponytail for our Napoleon Dynamite night. But with the onset of my sickness, it was all I could do to go to class or work, much less make or even eat a meal. I have completely mellowed out the last three years, and some of my friends have noticed. I had big plans to decorate my home, go on fun outings, dance with my baby, play and laugh and run and do - but these events are few and far between for us.

Why do I regurgitate such seemingly uninteresting, unrelated to the topic and personal information? Today seemed to be a day of reflection, of trying to let those closest to me know that they can trust me to follow through on things I want and need to do but haven't had the strength to. My husband sort of started the ball rolling in this direction last night when I realized that he didn't ask me to do things not because I was sick and couldn't do them, but because I promised to do them and they seemed to never get done. Do you see the difference? I did, at least, and that one hurt.

I'm here to say, though, that if that is the impetus for change in an upward direction, so be it. To bring this semi-introspective discussion full circle, the aforementioned reason is why I was furiously sweeping the entryway tile this morning, and it is why I posed the question that I will now repeat: WHY DO WE LIVE IN TUCSON?? (
I mean, just south of Tucson, of course...)

As I was sweeping, a tan-colored something caught my eye that was half stuck under the front door. Upon pulling it out with the broom, I realized it was a SCORPION!!! Yes, folks, a scorpion, complete with a stinger and arms and way too many horrible characteristics to spout off. It was about and inch and a half long, dead (thank GOODNESS - I wasn't sure at first), and I could not figure out how it got under our door.

Oh, so many things come to mind from such a small incident. First, yes, I have a decent enough vocabulary and skill as a writer to compose a somewhat amusing account of the mundane in my life. Second, I obviously need someone to talk to since this is the sort of thing I spend my "free" time doing. Third, which should probably be first, is that Gavin plays over by the door, and what if he had encountered this before I swept it up? Worse, what if he found a live one??

That settles it. We are never going outside again unless it is to get in the car, drive to an airport, and fly to a place where everything doesn't try to kill you, from the bugs to the foliage to the weather to the wildlife. Then again, this one was halfway inside before he kicked the bucket, anyway...

8 comments:

korth fam said...

EWWWWW, that is one of THE biggest reasons I did not want to go back. Maybe you should come out to California for a while Ya'll can live in one half of the apt. and we will live in the other. AND when one of us either doesn't have the strength to do a chore or plain just doesn't want to the other can do it :) It will be super fun! See ya soon K

Jim and Amy said...

I'm glad the job is great, because Arizona is not on my list of places that are suitable for human habitation.... Pretty much everything bites down there! Your boy should be all right though - so long as he got Casey's thick skin (and head)! Glad to hear he did well on the GRE - what, you engineer types aren't don't outpace me enough salary-wise already? :)

Anonymous said...

Dalin found a lady bug and a potato bug outside the other day! Picked them up and placed them in my garden. Yes, all those are harmless and growing food outside. I think you need to come home. "Home means Nevada...." right?

The Moore Family

Jenn Hansen said...

And to think that this morning I freaked out because there was a little spider on the ceiling in our bedroom... Good luck with the adventure that is living in Arizona!

Hayley said...

About you mellowing: I find you to be as charming and wonderful as ever, though you may not think yourself so.

It's weird changing as an adult. You wake up one day and wonder how it happened and why life isn't as exciting. Why??

As for the insects...that sucks. I hear they make great soups, though. Or was that vegetables? I dont know!

Meagan said...

Oh my stars, Brittny! How did you guys escape alive? I think that Brayden and I would have been running down the street, screaming at the top of our lungs!!!!!! I am so glad to talk to you. I've missed you. And you son is beautiful. He looks a lot like your husband. When are you guys coming to Reno next? We should get together when you do. Let me tell you, I think, actually I know, that you are an amazing mother. I know how it is to be sick and be a mother, but I know that you are amazing and your husband and son are very blessed individuals. I love you, Britt!!! Love, Meagan

AJ said...

Brittny, we love and adore you and think you are a fantastic wife, mommy, sis-n-law and we're so glad to have you as part of the Jacobs family (especially with the funniest things that come out of your mouth...how do you come up with some of that stuff? Break dancing? I still laugh about that!). I really, really hope you begin to feeling better soon! You know we adore Gavin (handsome devil that he is) and wish you guys could be closer to us, so I could steal him away more often and let him be naughty for a while then clean him up and hand him back over when he's cranky or stinky (the joys of aunt-hood)!

Oh yeah, and as for the scorpions, I'd take them any day over the Tanque Verde bugs...those things are stinkin' nasty and I'm so glad not to worry about them in my cupboards anymore! I hope you don't encounter them very often!

Love you guys!

~A

Lisa Moore said...

You know, Survivorman made a scorpion shish-ka-bob...Mmm, protein! Just a thought towards food storage. I know Reed thinks Bear Grylls rocks, but honestly..scorpions, what a tastey treat.

Love, The Moore Family