Warning: long post to follow. This one is more for the sake of our family than anything, so stay tuned for lighter posts!
I know I'm a good month late in reporting on our Fourth of July, but rather than scrap the idea of blogging about it I decided to record it for the sake of posterity, although they might remember it different than I am about to report it. At least I will have done my duty as official family historian to show my children that yes, indeed, we did go on a "vacation," because after this one I will probably never take them on another one again. Ostensibly, we wanted to go to Salt Lake City for my dear friend, Tina's wedding, but since Casey had a day off for the 4th, we decided to drive the whole family up to see Temple Square, BYU, etc. Good idea...ostensibly.
If you have ever read the children's book, "That's Good! That's Bad!" then you have some idea of how our trip went. It was a completely bipolar time for us; a veritable roller-coaster of events and emotions that left us scratching our heads and saying, "Well...at least we tried." We certainly learned a lot about what to do when taking young kids on vacation, but we have very little desire to get out and use our new-found knowledge. A trip to the grocery store where they give out free balloons and complementary cold viruses is vacation enough, right? The trip went as follows:
Day 1:
Drove to Page, AZ. Tried to leave NO LATER THAN 3 pm. Ended up leaving between 4 and 4:30 pm. Before leaving, I got extremely frustrated and maintained a lovely bad mood for oh, 4 or so of the 7 hours of driving time. Also before leaving, Casey let Gavin have a water bottle to keep him busy while we finished packing the car. That's good - no, that's bad! Gavin had to go to the bathroom 40 minutes into the trip, and it took us 15 minutes to find a bathroom. We pulled off the freeway on the worst possible exit; entered a very scary gas station to find out that they had no restroom, and finally found one down the road - but not before Gavin was literally screaming and crying because he had to go so badly. Casey bolted into the restroom, holding a screaming, shoeless Gavin. But they made it. Phew. Ate dinner at Kentucky Fried Chicken. That's good - no, that's bad! I relived that choice in the middle of the night with abdominal pain. Sigh. We got to Page near 1 in the morning and realized that the motel we had booked may not be the best quality. Gavin was wide awake until about 2 or 2:30 am. Trying to settle him down was pretty fantastic and nearly impossible because of the awful noise the air conditioning unit was making. Finally, he slept, Casey slept, Averi slept.
























Day 2
Pleasantly awake! Stopped to see the Glen Canyon Dam at Lake Powell. Then, we were on the road and having a lovely time snacking, listening to some good tunes, and laughing. We had a ridiculously idyllic time at the world's most perfect park in Kanab, Utah and decided as we kept driving that living in that canyon would be incredible. Picture green meadows, cows ruminating, rustic ranches surrounded by meadows, trees, mountains and streams, and a blue sky littered with fluffy clouds. Gorgeous. Moving on, we stopped in Nephi to feed Averi. Gavin learned to climb trees with Dad at a park, then we drove to Salt Lake...that's good - no, that's bad...with Averi crying the whole way. She was done.
We got to our hotel...that's good - no, that's bad...and I had to give my 3-year-old son a lesson on what smoking was and why Heavenly Father doesn't want us to do it because two very pregnant women were lighting up together right outside the entrance to our hotel. Fantastic. I nearly crawled out from the backseat and smacked them in the head. As we settled into our room, Casey went back downstairs to get our luggage while I bathed Gavin...that's good - no, that's bad...who screamed his head off at me when I asked him to tilt his head back so I could rinse out the shampoo, and Averi was crying her eyes out on the bed. I was sure people thought I was abusing my children. Finally, Casey came back to (I thought) relieve me and help with the kids...that's good - no, that's bad...where he told me he nicked another car with our car door, and in the process of moving our car so it didn't happen again, the side of the car scraped along a concrete pillar in the parking garage.
Great. Let the dysfunction continue.
Day 3
I woke early to bathe and get ready to go to the temple for Tina's wedding. Left the kids with Dad after they drove me over to Temple Square. I got to see my former roommate, Christa, and friends Jim and Amy in the sealing room...that's good - no, that's bad...which made me wish Casey were with me because it was the first time I had been back to Salt Lake since I had been married in that temple in a sealing room just down the hall. So many emotions! The sealing was wonderful, Tina looked gorgeous, and we all had lunch together afterward. Back at the hotel, we all took naps and watched a movie, then went to Gateway Mall to peruse and eat dinner. Everything turned out okay!
Day 4
We got to our hotel...that's good - no, that's bad...and I had to give my 3-year-old son a lesson on what smoking was and why Heavenly Father doesn't want us to do it because two very pregnant women were lighting up together right outside the entrance to our hotel. Fantastic. I nearly crawled out from the backseat and smacked them in the head. As we settled into our room, Casey went back downstairs to get our luggage while I bathed Gavin...that's good - no, that's bad...who screamed his head off at me when I asked him to tilt his head back so I could rinse out the shampoo, and Averi was crying her eyes out on the bed. I was sure people thought I was abusing my children. Finally, Casey came back to (I thought) relieve me and help with the kids...that's good - no, that's bad...where he told me he nicked another car with our car door, and in the process of moving our car so it didn't happen again, the side of the car scraped along a concrete pillar in the parking garage.
Great. Let the dysfunction continue.
Day 3
I woke early to bathe and get ready to go to the temple for Tina's wedding. Left the kids with Dad after they drove me over to Temple Square. I got to see my former roommate, Christa, and friends Jim and Amy in the sealing room...that's good - no, that's bad...which made me wish Casey were with me because it was the first time I had been back to Salt Lake since I had been married in that temple in a sealing room just down the hall. So many emotions! The sealing was wonderful, Tina looked gorgeous, and we all had lunch together afterward. Back at the hotel, we all took naps and watched a movie, then went to Gateway Mall to peruse and eat dinner. Everything turned out okay!
Day 4
Good breakfast; fantastic hotel suite - we were sad to leave this morning, but happy to go to Temple Square. We showed Gavin the temple (again; he saw it the day before when Casey and the kids met me after the sealing, and he said, "This is so gorgeous!") and visitor's centers...that's good - no, that's bad...where he kept touching things and running around, and when he got in trouble he cried so loud that I could hear it where I was nursing on the other side of the building. Nice. We had a lovely lunch and drove to our next hotel at Thanksgiving Point...that's good - no, that's bad...where we stayed too long and missed our opportunity to go to the Creamery, BYU Bookstore (for more than 10 minutes before it closed, anyway) and Deseret Book. Boo. But we did go to a few favorite BYU buildings and walk around campus. We also went to Coney's for some tasty frozen custard. That evening, we got to see fireworks from the parking lot of our hotel, and Gavin just loved them. Yay!
Day 5
Day 5
We slept in...that's good - no, that's bad...and missed our opportunity to go to an early church service. While we were getting ready for Sunday and packing up, Casey was holding Averi and watching Gavin while I showered...that's good - no, that's bad...and Gavin made him nearly drop Averi. Not a good morning. We drove around and found a chapel, and I felt emotionally patriotic while singing The Star Spangled Banner. Our plan was to leave right after sacrament meeting so that we could eat and begin the drive home...that's good - no, that's bad...and we found out that Susan Easton Black was the gospel doctrine teacher in that ward as we drove away. Dang it. Bring on the idyllic afternoon, anyway: a picnic on the grass in front of the Provo temple, blue skies, July 4th, PERFECT weather, birds chirping, Gavin getting to experience actual grass and trees; "God's army," i.e. hoards of missionaries, walking around the temple grounds...that's good - no, that's bad...and Gavin pooped in his pants. No bathroom to take care of this. I should have known. On the road we were, again. Got to Page, AZ and same motel as last time in record time...that's good - no, that's bad...where we were met with insanely loud music at 12 am as an Independence Day celebration raged on seemingly in our room and a drunk man came right up to us and asked to use our room to charge his phone so he could call his friend to come pick him up. Also, we realized just what a crappy motel we had picked when Casey went to grab toilet paper and the holder came right out of the wall.
Day 6
We were all in a lovely mood, we watched The Price is Right, Gavin played outside on some playground equipment...that's good - no, that's bad...and peed his pants. Not too bad, right? Okay. We dealt with that. Averi sat up for about half a minute for the first time all by herself before we left the motel! While driving back to Tucson, we stopped outside of Phoenix at some fabulous outlet stores and picked up some much-needed items. Finally, we left for Tucson with only 3 hours left of driving to do! That's good - no, that's bad...Averi screamed. I crawled in the back. Casey drove. Averi screamed. We had to stop no more than 45 minutes after we left the mall. Averi was fine, just fine after we took her out of her seat. We started up again after getting gas, children quiet and sleeping, and got home before 10:30, exhausted but home. Our trip was over...that's good - no, that's bad...until we got the $200 speeding ticket in the mail a few weeks later. All's well that ends...well, it ended.
There were some beautiful moments on this trip, for sure. I remember holding my baby and watching my son and husband play in the grass with a gentle breeze blowing, and I said a silent prayer that I would never forget that moment - a moment when absolutely everything was right with the world; everyone was safe, content, healthy, happy, and together.
I might venture out with the kids again, as long as I can channel memories like that and bring way more underwear for Gavin.
Day 6
We were all in a lovely mood, we watched The Price is Right, Gavin played outside on some playground equipment...that's good - no, that's bad...and peed his pants. Not too bad, right? Okay. We dealt with that. Averi sat up for about half a minute for the first time all by herself before we left the motel! While driving back to Tucson, we stopped outside of Phoenix at some fabulous outlet stores and picked up some much-needed items. Finally, we left for Tucson with only 3 hours left of driving to do! That's good - no, that's bad...Averi screamed. I crawled in the back. Casey drove. Averi screamed. We had to stop no more than 45 minutes after we left the mall. Averi was fine, just fine after we took her out of her seat. We started up again after getting gas, children quiet and sleeping, and got home before 10:30, exhausted but home. Our trip was over...that's good - no, that's bad...until we got the $200 speeding ticket in the mail a few weeks later. All's well that ends...well, it ended.
There were some beautiful moments on this trip, for sure. I remember holding my baby and watching my son and husband play in the grass with a gentle breeze blowing, and I said a silent prayer that I would never forget that moment - a moment when absolutely everything was right with the world; everyone was safe, content, healthy, happy, and together.
I might venture out with the kids again, as long as I can channel memories like that and bring way more underwear for Gavin.

8 comments:
Are you sure Gavin's your son?!?!?!
What beautiful pictures. Thanks for this post. I loved it so much.
What a PERFECT vacation....for a family with children. You are learning to relax, though, right?! Love the pictures and all of you.
I want to know if you went in & ate at the Bun Huggers lounge! Now that would add some priceless memories to that trip.
My grandfather was from Kanab, & I agree that it is a truly amazing place. I would live there in a heartbeat if I could. Your post made me a little teary just thinking about it.
Next time you think about going on vacation, I would just stay home!
We sincerely hope this little trip you just described will not keep you from coming to visit us. Think of it as a trip and a great experience of memories. It reminded me of the many times we crossed the beautiful Nevada desert. We are awaiting with great anticipation to see you and will even babysit if I can talk Laura, Peter, Reed and Marissa that it is my turn by order of being oldest living female. We love you all and look forward...... to seeing, loving and hugging you all once more. Love G & GG
Brittny, I know you don't know me, but I grew up with Casey and our kid's grandmas are friends, so I hear all about your kids (my two are close in age to yours.) I read your blog and love your writing. Hope you don't mind.
I wish I would have known you guys came up to Utah, you could have stayed with us in SLC, I haven't seen Casey for a long time. Best of luck with the kids...I look forward to more fun stories.
Your babies are gorgeous! What a fun trip! I hope you are doing well :)
Vacations with children are stressful! Our first one involved two canceled flights, but at least they bumped us to 1st class on the last flight.
Anyway, I am curious...where did you stay in Page? Tyler will be visiting that Dam occasionally for work and I want to make sure we don't end up there if we go with him! (nnj1031atyahoodotcom)
I love your real life adventures!
Susan Easton Black! And you didn't stay??? THAT was the craziest part of the story...by far!
Post a Comment