Second, we drove up to the annual Hardy family reunion in the White Mountains of Arizona. Highlights: Gavin got to be around fun cousins, bonfires were a stinking pile of fun, we got ticketed for swimming, a pregnant woman survived a camping trip without plumbing...or showering (sorry for the over-share), we learned that Gavin gets a little carsick, and we made it back in one piece.
Third: Casey's high school reunion. What a whirlwind trip that was! We flew to Colorado on a Wednesday and went straight to the lake for some water skiing. Thursday morning dawned and we drove up to Elitch's in Denver for some water/amusement park fun. We thoroughly exhausted our child by this time, and we still had more than half the trip to go! Friday was a blur of shopping and preparing for said reunion (did I mention that Casey was his class president and hence the organizer of said reunion? Why oh why did I look for that over-achieving, ambitious type? Why couldn't I have been satisfied with Potbelly Pat whose goal in life was to stuff as many Doritos in his mouth without choking as possible? I shot myself in the foot for aiming high, that's for sure) and a lovely time to follow when we began to reap the fruit of Casey's labors.
Friday evening was an opportunity for me to meet all the people Casey went to school with, and it was nice to connect faces with names I had previously only heard. Since I am the ONLY member of Casey's family to have not married his/her high school sweetheart, this prevents me from being a part of many family conversations where catching up on ol' Berthoud, CO people occurs. Maybe that's how Casey feels when my family and I chat about Reno/Sparks friends! In any case, the best part of the evening was noticing that everyone thought as highly of my husband as I do. He may have changed a bit physically and geographically, but he has always been a genuine, honest, fun, intelligent, hard-working, loyal person with a wealth of friends. Maybe aiming high has its benefits.
Saturday was Part 2 of the reunion - a BBQ in the park. Thanks SO much to Casey's primary reunion committee, namely Cheryl and Jay Jacobs, who were not only behind the scenes but right in there cooking and visiting with the people they got to know years ago. Thanks also to all of Casey's friends who spent so much time and effort helping out with the reunion - I wish I could name you all, but I'm sure I don't know the complete list of helpers! The food was great, the atmosphere jolly, and the party was finally over. I only say finally because my cankles at the end of the day were grateful to be put at rest.
Sunday was our day of rest, family, and good birthday food (Cheryl's birthday) to include fried chicken and mashed potatoes. Getting to visit with our family was truly the highlight of our trip, and we miss everyone so much. Thanks for all you did and do for us on a regular basis (especially our chauffeur, Courtnee!), and thanks for picking up the slack for a fat lady who sings.

4 comments:
Ok Brit! I think you need to time it better and come camping and jet skiing with us next time. We still have the deer that come through to feed. Also have perfected our dutch oven pizza and of course the s'mores. We miss you! And we're (how you put it so eloquently) STINKIN' fun too!
Oh, you do take cute pictures too! However, it helps to have Gavin as a distraction.
I'ts nice to see the Jacob family have their outings and class reunions. It was nice to see Rachel wearing an apron! Will wonders never cease.
The Schindlers had their annual "Tomato Featival" during your trip as we celebrated the final arrival of our crop of two tomatoes! We celebrated at Wendys and not at home because we didn't have enough tomatoes for a salad.
We would like Casey to speak in Danish sometime!
Love you all....everyone looks great! Thanks for the pictures.
Grandma and Grandpa
You sound and look so happy!!! YAY!!
Post a Comment