Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Weekend Project

In a truly serendipitous turn of events, we happened to be at Home Depot on Saturday morning after another truly painful soccer game (more on that later). As we walked into the store we were surprised to hear from a very friendly employee that on the first Saturday of each month, this particular location held free workshops for kids. The workshop for that day just happened to be something I knew my little son would LOVE to build with his dad: a race car!

We didn't have time to stay and build the car at the worktables that were set up outside the store, but they gladly gave us the coveted orange Home Depot apron all the other kids were wearing and sent us home with the race car kit! How completely wonderful!

My son and his dad had a splendid time building together as evidenced by the ear-to-ear grin on my son's face and exclamations of delight not captured in a still shot. I hope we have time to go back next month and build a crate!

(I'll be honest - I sort of want an orange apron myself.)

Helping with the hammer

I can do it by myself, Dad!
Wow! This is starting to look like a race car!
I made this!
I'm not sure if I'm more excited that I built a race car or that I built it with my Dad...

2 comments:

Lisa Moore said...

Wait til cub scouts when the whole weight and design and aerodynamics comes in to play. Gavin will just have to sit and watch considering what his daddy does for a living. I think they need a Pinewood Derby for the dads! Gavin looks so happy, so does Casey. Love them!

Wendy said...

What a good Dad and a good Boy. I hope they continue in their building love.