Not all "firsts" are great. First ear infections, for example, are completely odious. Gavin has had an ear infection for nearly a week, and the irritability factor has reached a maximum. I thought I would be much more patient, kind and loving once I found out why he had a raging fever, but it turns out I am a whole lot less magnanimous in the face of irritably than I thought. Thank goodness for great dads like Gavin's, though - Casey has been a dream. I am the hated parent at the moment because I am also the administrator of medicine which comes in the form of scented, thick, pink liquid that attempts a bubble-gum flavor and turns out to be just plain crappy. As soon as I finish administering the medicine (as much as Gavin doesn't have the chance to spit out, that is), Casey swoops in to save the child from his evil mother. Never mind the fact that Casey has been the one holding his arms out of the way as I grab Gavin's cheeks to make him open his mouth and accept the pink stuff - as long as Dad's around, I'm evil. I'd cackle for you, but I am relatively assured that an authentic evil laugh is produced only when the villain actually enjoys inflicting torture on unsuspecting children. In my case, I'd rather just cry. Or do a jig of despair.
There has been a ray of hope, however - Gavin has had little moments of loveliness, as in when he sleeps (RELIEF!) or when he feels a bit better, as he did when I got out the quilt Grandma Jacobs made for him. I decided it was time to get out the quilt because grandma blankets are the best when you are sick. Feeling a bit nostalgic, I got out an afghan my own grandmother made for me when I was little. I remember using it often but especially when I was sick. To highlight the magic of the grandma blanket, I got the most fantastic picture of Gavin crawling under the afghan-tunnel I made for him against the couch. Who knew being sick could be so incredibly darling?
Will pudding make you happy, baby??

Dad had to remove his shirt before touching Gavin. You can see pudding on his shoulder.
And the piece de resistance:
5 comments:
OK, so I can't imagine you being evil, but hey who knows?! Sorry your little one is sick, that is never fun! I saw your aunt on Sunday and she said your coming to Reno next month! We totally should get together and play! So, I made the blog private last night, so I need your e-mail so that I can add you to my list! You can e-mail it to me at skkarrasch@gmail.com
Dear Brittny, Casey and Gavin:
Thank you for the pictures and the update.
We're very happy he's recovered and just being a baby boy!
Great Grandmother would like to make a quilt/blanket for Gavin, but she can't tie square knots.
All is well here! We're going camping at Stampede Dam next week, if there's water.
We just celebrated Luke's 14th Birthday, and Lisa's 39th and Bryan's 17th. He will be on a Mission in just two years. We understand he wants to serve his Mission in Arizona and convert all the pagans??
Keep the blogs coming, we're so happy to receive them.
The Schindlers
Wait, he's cuter than before!!! What the heck? I missss you!!
You have a cute son! I am glad I found your blog
Brittny:
We are having fun reading your comments, but really can't add our own?
We even created our own blog site to keep in communication, but still can't get linked. If this get's posted on your site....it will be by accident.
On your next visit, maybe you can get your grandmother linked up???
We're happy you're taking the right medicine now! Fed Narc Squad is looking for you now!
Gp
Post a Comment